Monday, November 12, 2007

The Power of the Visual

I was on my way into work this morning when I noticed something that I had seen hundreds of times before, but I had not realized. Every day I pass by the offices of a major energy (mostly electricity) corporation that has it's logo on the building as most companies do, but what got me thinking is that the logo for this company has almost the exact same elements as a blog that has the exact opposite aim as the corporation.
First, here's the corporation's logo:

The style is modern in the font. It's sans serif, so it's designed to be seen in large typeface. It's made of of blue and green colors so it indicates a harmony with the enviorment and the "o" is designed to look like the on switch of most consumer electronics so that would indicate it has to do with power.

Now here's the logo of the blog:


Again, it has the modern font as it has a modern mode of communication. The colors, while not an exact match, are simularly themed. Even the design schemes are simular with the on switch. Only this time, it's not the name of the company that's turning on the message, but rather the enviorment.

I'm always amazed at what groups come up with when they have the same message (in this case to tell the consumer that they each only want what's best for the enviorment) but and exact opposite way of viewing it. Isn't spin wonderful?

No comments: